Apple Walnut Topped Pumpkin Soup
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon (15 ml)|
|Walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped (for topping)|
|Chives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped (for topping)|
|Granny smith apple||1 Medium, finely diced (for topping)|
|Nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Maple syrup||1 Tablespoon (+ 2 tablespoons for topping)|
|Chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs) (750 ml 30% Less Sodium)|
|Garlic clove||2 Medium, peeled and crushed|
|Onion||1⁄2 Small, diced|
|Pumpkin||6 Cup (96 tbs), peeled, diced|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (for topping)|
1) In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium-high heat.
2) Stir in the pumpkin, onion and garlic. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned.
3) Add the broth, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the pumpkin is very tender.
4) Topping : In a bowl combine apple, chives, walnuts, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Set aside.
5) Puree the pumpkin mixture using a blender until smooth.
6) Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and spoon over the topping.
7) Drizzle each bowl with remaining maple syrup and serve.
Calories 169 Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.6%
Saturated Fat 0.84 g4.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 579.5 mg24.1%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 3 g11.8%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 4 g7.8%
Vitamin A 259.4% Vitamin C 34.5%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 9.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet