Black Bean Soup
|Dry black beans||1 Pound, rinsed and soak overnight in water|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped to make 1 cup|
|Carrots||2 Medium, finely chopped to make 1 cup|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 Can)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Hard-cooked eggs||2 , sliced|
1. In large saucepan combine beans and water, bring the mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and cover and let it stand for about 1 hour but do not drain.
3. In a saucepan cook onion, carrots, and garlic in butter or margarine till onion is tender and translucent,
4. Stir in beans and liquid, un-drained tomatoes, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and bay leaf; cover and simmer for about 3 hours or till beans are done.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf.
6. Mash beans slightly before arranging into individual serving bowl.
7. Top with egg slices and serve hot.