Black Bean Soup
|Dry black beans||1 Pound, rinsed and soak overnight in water|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped to make 1 cup|
|Carrots||2 Medium, finely chopped to make 1 cup|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 Can)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Hard-cooked eggs||2 , sliced|
1. In large saucepan combine beans and water, bring the mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and cover and let it stand for about 1 hour but do not drain.
3. In a saucepan cook onion, carrots, and garlic in butter or margarine till onion is tender and translucent,
4. Stir in beans and liquid, un-drained tomatoes, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and bay leaf; cover and simmer for about 3 hours or till beans are done.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf.
6. Mash beans slightly before arranging into individual serving bowl.
7. Top with egg slices and serve hot.
Calories 622 Calories from Fat 145
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.5%
Saturated Fat 8.7 g43.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 151.1 mg50.4%
Sodium 1262.1 mg52.6%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.7%
Dietary Fiber 21.7 g86.8%
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 31 g62.8%
Vitamin A 128.6% Vitamin C 33.1%
Calcium 23.9% Iron 46.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet