Ham And Bean Vegetable Soup
|Dry navy beans||1 Pound, rinsed and soak overnight in water (2 1/2 Cup)|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Smoked pork hocks||1 1⁄2 Pound (Meaty Ham Hocks)|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, peeled and cubed to make 2 cups|
|Carrots||2 Medium, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced to make 1 cup|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Dried thyme||3⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Bottled hot pepper sauce||4 Dash (Several Dashes)|
1. In a saucepan, combine beans and the water, bring the mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat; cover and let it stand for about 1 hour but do not drain.
3. Bring the beans and liquid to boiling.
4. Add smoked pork hocks, reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or till beans are nearly tender.
5. Remove pork hocks and when hocks are cool enough to handle, cut off meat and coarsely chop; discard bones.
6. Return meat to pan along with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or till vegetables are tender.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Mash beans slightly before arranging into individual serving bowl.
9. Serve hot with toasted garlic bread.