Ham N Cabbage Soup
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Canned chicken broth||21 1⁄2 Ounce (2 Cans, 10 3/4 Ounce Each, Undiluted)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ham||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), cut into 1/4-inch-wide julienne strips|
|Green cabbage||3 Cup (48 tbs), shredded|
1. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, tip in the 2 tablespoons of butter and heat gently.
2. Add the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic to the pan and stir continuously till the vegetables are soft. This will take five minutes
3. Add flour, oregano, bay leaf and pepper to the pan and continue stirring until the flour is well blended.
4. Add the chicken broth to the pan along with four cups of water and gradually mix well
5. Add ham to the vegetable mix and combine well
6. Bring to the boil and reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
7. In another skillet, place the rest of the butter and heat over medium heat till melted. Add the shredded cabbage and stir for 3 minutes along with 1 tablespoon of water and cook covered till the cabbage is crisp
8. Add cabbage to the soup and simmer again
9. Serve the soup with sour cream