Big Meal Soup
|Dry green split peas/Dry yellow split peas||1 Pound, rinsed and soaked overnight in water|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Ham bone/Smoked pork hocks - 1 pound||1 Pound (1 Bone)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, coarsely chopped to make 1 cup|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 Can)|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Celery stalk||1 , chopped to make 1/2 cup|
1. In a saucepan, combine split peas, water, ham bone or pork hocks, carrots, onion and salt; bring the mixture to boil.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 60 minutes or till peas are tender.
3. Remove ham bone and cut off meat; discard the bones.
4. Press half the pea mixture through a sieve and return to saucepan.
5. Stir in meat, un-drained tomatoes, green pepper, and celery; simmer for about 20 minutes or till celery and green pepper are done.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper
7. Arrange the soup into individual serving bowl and serve immediately with toasted garlic bread.