|Lard||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Sugar||2 Teaspoon (1 Rounded Teaspoon)|
|Fat bacon||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Ox kidney||1 Pound (250 Grams)|
|Dried mixed herbs||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Canned tomato puree||2 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Small Can / 70 Grams)|
|Beef stock||4 Pint (2 Liters)|
|Cornflour||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
1) Wash the kidney and remove the core. Slice into small pieces. Place aside.
2) In a small bowl, dissolve cornflour in little water. Place aside.
3) In a pan, heat up lard.
4) Add sliced onions, sugar and bacon in hot lard, cook until golden brown and remove from the pan.
5) In the remaining fat, fry the kidney pieces.
6) Bring back the onions and bacon to the pan, add the herbs, tomato puree, stock and some salt and pepper.
7) Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for ½ hour, by covering and reducing the heat.
8) In a liquidizer, add the mixture in 2-3 batches to liquidize.
9) Pour in the cornflour solution and return on heat to bring a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
10) Adjust seasoning according to the taste.
11) Add 15 ml (1 tablespoon) red wine for each portion just before serving, if desired.
Calories 747 Calories from Fat 174
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.1%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g36.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21 mg7%
Sodium 1219 mg50.8%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.7%
Dietary Fiber 20.4 g81.5%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 39 g78.2%
Vitamin A 1.9% Vitamin C 30.9%
Calcium 17.2% Iron 53.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet