|Dried white kidney beans||1⁄2 Pound|
|Zucchini||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|White turnips||1 Pound|
|Celery stalks with leaves||2|
|Whole tomatoes||17 Ounce|
|Dried basil leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried red pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Day before soak beans (even though package says otherwise) overnight in cold water to cover.
2. Next day, drain beans in colander and rinse under cold water.
To Prepare vegetables:
3. Dice zucchini pare and dice turnips and potato.
4. Pare carrots and slice thinly and slice celery.
5. Coarsely chop 2 onions.
6. Into a 6-quart Dutch oven place beans with 6 cups water and bring to boiling over medium heat.
7. Add prepared vegetables and rest of ingredients, except oil and parsley.
8. Bring back to boiling reduce heat and simmer, covered, 2-1/2 hours until beans are tender.
9. Remove and discard onion with cloves and the bay leaf.
10. Stir in oil, taste for seasoning, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Flavor is even better the next day.