|Onions||4 Large, sliced|
|Beef broth||6 Cup (96 tbs) (Basic Type)|
|French bread slice||6 , toasted|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Gruyere cheese/Swiss cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2) In a Dutch Oven, melt butter or margarine. Add in the onions and saute for 15 minutes or until the onions brown lightly.
3) Add in the beef broth, salt and pepper. Let the mixture come to boil before turning down the flame. Cook on simmer for 30 minutes.
4) Pour the soup evenly into 6 ovenproof soup bowls or 12-ounce custard cups or a 8-cup casserole.
5) Layer the bread slices on top and sprinkle cheese over it.
6) Bake for 10 minutes. Next, broil the soup till it starts bubbling and turn a light brown on top.
7) Serve the Onion Soup garnished with chopped herbs.