Tuscany Bean Soup
|Dried great northern beans||1 Pound (White Ones)|
|Condensed chicken broth||1 Can (10 oz) (Undiluted)|
|Dried marjoram leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Sliced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Diagonal 1/2-Inch Thick Pieces)|
|Potatoes||2 Large, pared and julienned|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Frozen spinach||10 Ounce, chopped and thawed (1 Packet)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1) Rinse the beans and drain them. Cover the beans in 6 cups of cold water. Cover and refrigerate the beans overnight. Do this a day in advance.
2) The next day, add in the beans and the liquid into a 8-quart kettle. Add in 6 more cups of water, salt, chicken broth, marjoram, bay leaf and pepper. Let the mixture come to a boil.
3) Turn down the heat and simmer covered for 60 minutes.
4) In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add in onions, garlic and carrots. Saute till the onions turn golden, in about 5 minutes.
5) After 60 minutes, add in the onion mixture into the beans along with the potato and frozen spinach.
6) Cook covered till the beans and vegetables become tender.
7) Serve the Tuscany Bean Soup in individual soup bowls. Sprinkle with grated cheese on top.