Fresh Cold Beet Soup
|Baby beets||2 Pound (with beet greens/leaves, 2 bunches)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as required)|
|Fresh dill||3 Tablespoon, snipped|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream||2 Tablespoon|
1) Wash the beets without scrubbing off the skin.
2) Discard the leaves.
3) In a large saucepan add 4 cups cold water and cover the beets in it.
4) Boil it and reduce heat. Simmer for 40 to 45 minutes until beets are tender.
5) Using a slotted spoon, drain out the beets.
6) When cold enough to handles, remove the skin.
7) Reserve the beet juice.
8) With a coarse grater or food processor grate beets and onion coarsely.
9) Mix water and beet juice to make 4 cups.
10) Transfer into the saucepan and boil.
11) Mix grated beets, onion and 3 tablespoons dill. Cook over simmering heat for 10 minutes.
12) Mix salt, lemon juice and brown sugar. Stir the sugar until dissolved.
13) Take off from heat and put in the bowl.
14) Cover and refrigerate until chilled for several hours or overnight.
15) Garnish with spoonful of sour cream and a little snipped dill.