Hot and Hearty Ham Soup
|Meaty ham bone/Smoked pork hocks (ham hocks) - 1 1/2 pounds||1 3⁄4 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Whole black peppercorns||8|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), halved|
|Cabbage||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Potatoes||2 Large, peeled and thinly sliced for 3 cups|
|Carrots||3 Large, thinly sliced for 2 cups|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped for 1/2 cup|
|Rye bread slice||8 (thick slices)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Swiss cheese||4 Ounce, cut into strips|
1. In a saucepan combine together ham bone or hocks, water, peppercorns, cloves, salt, and garlic; boil the mixture.
2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 2 1/2 hours; strain the broth and remove meat.
3. When bone is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the ham bone; cut off meat and chop.
4. Return broth and meat to the saucepan along with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onion; cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or till vegetables are tender.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Meanwhile, toast bread.
7. Ladle soup into heatproof bowls.
8. Top each with a toast slice; sprinkle with parmesan and top with Swiss cheese.
9. Place under broiler 2 minutes or till cheese melts.
10. Ladle stew into 4 bowls and stir well before serving.
11. Float toast atop each soup servings.