|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 can)|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Carrots||2 Medium, sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Pearl barley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Catsup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant beef bouillon granules||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. In a saucepan cook ground beef till brown in color; drain off the fat.
2. To the same saucepan, stir in the tomatoes, onion, carrots, celery, barley, catsup, basil and bay leaf s and 5 cups water; bring the mixture to boil.
3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about an hour.
4. Remove bay leaf and discard.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon off fat and arrange the soup into individual bowl and serve hot with garlic bread.
Calories 472 Calories from Fat 277
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.5%
Saturated Fat 11.2 g56%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.2 mg26.7%
Sodium 1339.3 mg55.8%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g9.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.3%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 24 g47.5%
Vitamin A 125% Vitamin C 39.5%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 20.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet