|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 can)|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Carrots||2 Medium, sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Pearl barley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Catsup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant beef bouillon granules||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. In a saucepan cook ground beef till brown in color; drain off the fat.
2. To the same saucepan, stir in the tomatoes, onion, carrots, celery, barley, catsup, basil and bay leaf s and 5 cups water; bring the mixture to boil.
3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about an hour.
4. Remove bay leaf and discard.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon off fat and arrange the soup into individual bowl and serve hot with garlic bread.