Sherry Flavored Black Bean Soup
|Dried black beans||1 Pound (2 1/2 cups)|
|Ham bone with meat||1 Pound|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped for 1 cup|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped for 1 cup|
|Carrots||2 , chopped for 1/2 cup|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), snipped|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole bay leaves||2|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 Dash, crushed|
|Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , hard-cooked, sliced|
|Thin lemon slices||3|
1. To prepare beans, rinse them and soak overnight in 6 cups cold water.
2. Alternately in a saucepan bring beans and water to boiling, simmer for 2 minutes and let it stand at least 1 hour.
3. Drain beans, discarding the liquid.
4. To the beans in the pan add next 10 ingredients and 7 cups water.
5. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours till beans are very tender.
6. Remove ham and bone, cut any meat into small pieces and work soup through sieve.
7. Add diced ham and sherry and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. If soup is too thick (it should be the consistency of heavy cream), stir in a little water and heat through.
9. To serve, garnish with hard-cooked egg slices and thin lemon slices.