Green Pigeon Pea Soup
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 Small, seeded and minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato||1 Medium, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Cooked squash||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pureed, frozen and then thawed|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth and seasoning mix||2 Ounce (2 packets)|
|Canned green pigeon peas||6 Ounce, rinsed and drained|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a 2-quart saucepan, heat oil.
2) In the hot oil, add the onion, peppers, and garlic.
3) Over medium-high heat, saute this mix for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring, until tender.
4) Into this, add the tomato and squash.
5) Cook this mix for 1 more minute.
6) Now, add the water and broth mix.
7) Cover the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
8) Cool the mixture slightly.
9) Into a blender, pour half of this mixture and blend until smooth.
10) To a 1-quart bowl, transfer the blended mixture.
11) Now, blend the rest of the soup.
12) Now, to the saucepan, return the blended soup.
13) To this, add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
14) Over medium heat, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the peas are heated well and the flavors are blended.
15) Transfer the soup to decorative soup bowls and serve hot, garnished with more fresh parsley.
Calories 134 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.8%
Saturated Fat 0.45 g2.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 84.8 mg3.5%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.1%
Sugars 7.8 g
Protein 5 g10.6%
Vitamin A 34.3% Vitamin C 74.8%
Calcium 4.5% Iron 9.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet