Chicken and Rice Soup
|Broiler fryer chicken||3 Pound, discarding giblets|
|Water||6 1⁄2 Cup (104 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, cut into large pieces|
|Celery stalks with leaves||2 , cut into pieces|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Thinly sliced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Long grain rice||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), uncooked|
|Finely chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned green chiles||4 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped (1 can)|
|Chicken bouillon cubes||2|
|Ground white pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped green onions||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1. In a stockpot over high heat bring together chicken, water, onion pieces, celery, garlic and bay leaf bring to a boil.
2. With cover reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
3. Strain chicken stock and chill and discard vegetables.
4. Skin and bone the chicken and cut meat into bite-size pieces; chill.
5. Skim fat from chicken stock.
6. In a dutch oven over medium-high heat combine chicken stock, carrots, rice, chopped onion, green chiles, bouillon, salt, white pepper and cumin and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low and simmer with cover for 30 minutes, adding chicken pieces during last 10 minutes.
8. Garnish with green onions and serve warm.
Calories 603 Calories from Fat 311
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.1%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 170.1 mg56.7%
Sodium 664.6 mg27.7%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.2%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 45 g89.4%
Vitamin A 94.5% Vitamin C 29.8%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 16.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet