Gingered Onion Apple Soup
|Mcintosh apples/Granny smith apples||1⁄2 Pound, cored|
|Diced onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated ginger root||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Instant chicken broth and seasoning mix||1 Ounce (1 packet)|
|All purpose flour||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Apple brandy||1 Tablespoon (Calvados)|
|Chopped chives||1 Tablespoon|
|Chives||4 , trimmed|
1) Slice the apples into 6 thin pieces and reserve for garnish.
2) Pare and dice the remaining apples.
3) In a small saucepan, heat the margarine.
4) To this, add the diced apples, onions, and gingerroot.
5) Over medium-high heat, saute this mix for 2 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Stir in between, as required.
6) Over the apple mixture, sprinkle the broth mix and flour.
7) Mix well quickly, by stirring and cook for 1 minute.
8) To this, add water and over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Stir constantly as the mix boils.
9) Now, reduce heat to low.
10) Then, add the brandy and mix gently.
11) Simmer, partially covered, for 6 to 7 minutes. By now, the flavors will blend well.
12) Divide the Gingered Onion Apple Soup into 2 soup bowls and serve immediately, topped with equal amount of apple slices and chives for each bowl.