|Fresh asparagus||1 1⁄2 Ounce (750 Grams)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Grams)|
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Lemon peel strip||2|
|Single cream||1 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
1. Trim the asparagus on preparation . Cut the tips off.
2. Cook the tips in boiling salted water for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness until just tender. Drain and keep on one side.
3. Cut the remaining asparagus stalks into 2-cm/ 1-inch lengths.
4. Peel and finely chop the onion.
5. Melt the butter or margarine in a large saucepan and cook onion gently for 5 minutes without browning.
6. Add the stock, lemon peel and asparagus stalks.
7. Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the asparagus is tender.
8. Remove lemon peel, sieve or liquidise to give a purde.
9. Season the soup, reheat with the asparagus tips.
10. Add the cream, continue to heat and then serve.