Linsensuppe Lentil Soup
|Ham bone||1 (Left From Cooked Shank)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (Fresh, Frozen Or Canned)|
|Bacon||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Onions||2 Medium, sliced|
|Carrots||2 Medium, diced|
|Lentils||1 Pound (Package)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
1) Wash lentils.
2) Cover them with cold water and soak for a whole night.
3) On the following day, drain lentils.
4) Take a Dutch oven and sautÃ© diced bacon in it until golden.
5) Stir in onions and carrots and sautÃ© them until onions are golden.
6) Mix in lentils, water, celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
7) Mix in ham bone.
8) Cover and simmer the mixture for 3 hrs until lentils become nice and tender.
9) Take off bay leaves.
10) Remove ham bone and debone it.
11) Place the meat back to soup.
12) Pour in lemon juice and serve at once or refrigerate soup till next day.
13) If refrigerated, add in lemon juice and serve at once after heating the soup again.
14. Serve the soup hot.