Rich Pea Soup
|Frozen peas||60 Ounce, thawed (Six 10 Ounces Each Packages)|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm) (Stems From 1 Bunch)|
|Garlic cloves||6 Medium, unpeeled|
|Canned chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon, softened|
1. In a large saucepan or flameproof casserole, combine 3 packages of the peas, the white parts of the scallions (reserve the green tops), the parsley, garlic, peppercorns, chicken broth and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes.
2. While the soup base is simmering, puree the remaining peas with 1/3 cup of the heavy cream. Press through a fine sieve to remove all the bits of skin.
3. Strain the soup base and discard the solids. Return the broth to the saucepan. Add the pureed peas to the broth, whisk to blend and heat through but do not boil. Season with the salt and pepper. (The can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead.)
4. Beat the remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream until stiff. Cut the scallion greens into thin strips.
5. Knead the flour and butter until smooth to make a beurre manie. Whisk into the soup. Cook over moderately high heat, whisking, until the soup thickens and comes just to a boil. Remove from the heat and ladle into soup bowls. Garnish each serving with a small dollop of whipped cream and a pinch of scallion strips.
Calories 639 Calories from Fat 237
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.5%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g78.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 79 mg26.3%
Sodium 663.7 mg27.7%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25%
Dietary Fiber 20.8 g83.1%
Sugars 22.4 g
Protein 29 g58.3%
Vitamin A 219.4% Vitamin C 167.9%
Calcium 18% Iron 48.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet