Chilled Asparagus Soup
|Asparagus||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Leeks||2 Medium, chopped|
|Celery rib||1 Medium, chopped|
|Baking potato||1 Large, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice|
|Chicken stock/Canned broth||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground white pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Half and half/Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Creme fraiche/Sour cream||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Paprika||To Taste (For Garnish)|
1. Cut off the asparagus tips and set aside. Coarsely chop the stems.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the asparagus tips, onion, leeks, celery and potato. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until soft, about 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus stems, cover and cook over low heat until soft, about 25 minutes. Strain into a large bowl pressing on the stalks to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the stems.
4. Put the sauteed vegetables in a food processor and puree until smooth, about 30 seconds. Whisk the vegetable puree into the strained stock. Season with the lemon juice, salt to taste and the pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
5. When ready to serve, stir in the half-and-half; mix well. Top each soup bowl with 1 tablespoon of the creme fraiche and garnish each with a dash of paprika.
Calories 426 Calories from Fat 196
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.1%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.7 mg16.6%
Sodium 445.7 mg18.6%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.8%
Sugars 12.1 g
Protein 14 g28.4%
Vitamin A 69.1% Vitamin C 48%
Calcium 15.9% Iron 38.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet