Fresh Pea Soup Garnie
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried mint||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||5 Tablespoon, softened|
|Veal sausage||1⁄2 Pound (Weisswurst)|
|Weisswurst||1⁄2 Pound (Veal Sausage)|
|Capers||2 Teaspoon, rinsed|
|Sour cream||4 Tablespoon|
|Scallions||2 , cut into pieces|
|Scallions||2 , cut into 1/2 inch pieces (white portion only)|
|Carrots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Grated carrots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Shelled peas||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Shelled fresh peas||4 Cup (64 tbs) (3 pounds pods)|
|Onions||2 Medium, sliced 1/4 inch thick|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs) (preferably homemade)|
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle the lemon juice over the mint and let stand to allow the mint to absorb the juice. Blend 3 tablespoons of the butter into the soaked mint. Let the mint butter sit at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
2. In a saucepan of simmering water, cook the Weisswurst for 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the casing off and cut the sausage into very thin slices on the diagonal. Set aside, covered, until ready to serve.
3. In a small bowl, combine the capers and sour cream; refrigerate until serving time. In another small bowl, combine the scallions, carrots and walnuts. Set aside until serving time.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat. Add the peas, onions and garlic and toss them well until coated with the butter. Tightly cover the pan, lower the heat slightly and cook, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent the vegetables from sticking, until the peas are crisp-tender and the onion translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the chicken stock and simmer the vegetables gently, uncovered, until the peas are completely cooked, 4 to 5 minutes.
6. In a food processor or blender, puree the mixture to as fine a texture as possible, working in batches if necessary. Press the puree through a fine strainer into a clean saucepan. Rewarm the soup over low heat, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning, adding salt if necessary.
7. Serve hot in warmed soup bowls. Pass the mint butter, capers, Weisswurst and vegetable-nut garnish on the side.
Calories 896 Calories from Fat 452
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g79%
Saturated Fat 21.5 g107.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 137.8 mg45.9%
Sodium 854.5 mg35.6%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.6%
Dietary Fiber 21 g83.9%
Sugars 29.8 g
Protein 41 g81.2%
Vitamin A 91% Vitamin C 231.5%
Calcium 22.6% Iron 41.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet