Sop Buntut - Traditional Oxtail Soup
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Shallots||3 Tablespoon, fried|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a large pot, add oxtail and water to cover the oxtail generously and add the ginger. Bring the water to a boil, add the oxtail, and boil for three minutes. Pour out the water and discard the ginger.
2. Refill the pot (still with the oxtail) with cold water and bring to a boil, add cloves and nutmeg, and simmer, covered, for 1 ½ hours until the meat is tender. Remove from heat, cool completely, and refrigerate overnight. Skim the congealed fat from the surface.
3. Heat the soup, boil and simmer again.
4. In a separate pan, heat butter, add carrot, leek, scallion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add to the soup along with the potatoes, pepper and salt to taste.
5. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
6. Ladle into large soup bowls and garnish with celery, tomato slices, and fried shallots.
7. Serve hot with, steamed rice, crackers and acar (asian pickled vegetables).
To give the soup a richer twist, roast the oxtail for an hour at 250 degrees centigrade, and then start making the soup using the dripping and the roasted oxtails.
Calories 1035 Calories from Fat 426
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.1%
Saturated Fat 23.3 g116.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 181.3 mg60.4%
Sodium 663.8 mg27.7%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30%
Dietary Fiber 21 g83.9%
Sugars 26.6 g
Protein 64 g127.3%
Vitamin A 266.8% Vitamin C 106.2%
Calcium 25.2% Iron 37.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet