Winter Cabbage Chicken Soup
|Onion||6 Ounce, sliced into thin half-moons (1 In Number)|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped, juices reserved (1 Can)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|New potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 Large Ones)|
|Smoked chicken sausage/Turkey sausage||1 Pound, cooked, thinly sliced|
|Cabbage||6 Ounce, finely shredded|
|Dill leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Sauerkraut||8 Ounce, rinsed and drained (1/2 Package)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) In a large saucepan, cover and saute the onion over a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until golden.
2) Stir in the stewed tomatoes and their juices, water, sugar, paprika, and potatoes.
3) Allow to boil over a high heat, then simmer and cook, covered for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender.
4) Stir in the sauerkraut and cabbage, cover and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until the cabbage is just tender.
5) Stir in the sausages and simmer, covered for 5 minutes until thoroughly heated.
6) Season with the salt and pepper to taste and turn off the heat.
7) Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish each portion with 1/4 cup sour cream, sprinkle with the chopped dill and serve immediately.