Curried Lamb Soup
|Split yellow peas||6 Ounce, washed (185 Gram)|
|Yellow split peas||6 Ounce, washed (185 Gram)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lamb shanks||12 Ounce, cut in half (375 Gram)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Boiling water||2 Pint (5 Cups Or 1 1/4 Liter)|
|Curry powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh mint||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 , diced|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Coconut milk||4 Fluid Ounce (Use 1/2 Cup Or 125 Milliliter)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a bowl cover split peas with water and set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
2. In a in a large saucepan heat oil and cook lamb shanks for 5-6 minutes until browned on all sides.
3. Then add garlic, onion and curry powder and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes longer.
4. To the pan add peas after draining along with boiling water, bring to a boil, skimming off any scum from the surface, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Removing shanks from the soup, set it aside to cool.
6. Then remove meat from bones and cut into even-sized pieces.
7. From the soup remove peas and process in a food processor or blender until smooth.
8. Returning the pea puree and meat to the pan, stir in mint and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add celery, coconut milk, lemon juice and black pepper to taste and cook over a medium heat without letting it boil for 3-5 minutes.
10. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with garnish as desired.
Calories 662 Calories from Fat 248
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.5%
Saturated Fat 12.5 g62.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57 mg19%
Sodium 123.2 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.4%
Dietary Fiber 27.4 g109.6%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 40 g79.4%
Vitamin A 114.1% Vitamin C 22.6%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 48.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet