White Beans and Escarole Chicken Soup
|Escarole head/Romaine lettuce /broccoli rabe||10 Ounce, cut into 2 to 3 inches squares (1 Head)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken sausages||6 Pound, smoked, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (6 Sausages, About 1 Pound Each)|
|Canned white beans||30 Ounce, rinsed and drained (2 Cans, 15 Ounces Each, Cannellini)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Sage||1 Teaspoon, ground, dried|
|Italian bread slice||4 , toasted|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), freshly grated|
1)In a large saucepan, saute the sausage slices in the oil over a medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes per side until slightly stiffened and brown.
2) In a bowl, remove the sausage slices with a slotted spoon, keep aside.
3) In the same saucepan, cover and cook the escarole over a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until wilted but bright green.
4) Remove the escarole into the bowl with the sausages.
5) In the same saucepan, add half the beans puree them with a potato masher or a spoon.
6) Stir in the remaining whole beans, 1 teaspoon salt, broth, water and sage, allow to simmer and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the beans are thoroughly heated.
7) Stir in the sausage rounds and escarole, simmer uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes, until heated through.
8) Season the soup with the salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
9) In 4 soup bowls, place a slice of toast, ladle the soup into the bowls, top each portion with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.