Brussel Sprout Soup
|Chicken stock||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut in 1" pieces|
|Turnip||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Leek||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Barley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Brussel sprouts||1 Pound|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), slivered|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a pan heat chicken stock to boiling, add beans, turnip, leek, carrots and barley and simmer covering tightly for 30 minutes.
2. Add brussel sprouts, green pepper, salt and pepper and simmer, covered, until all vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
3. In a small skillet, brown butter lightly and add flour stirring constantly.
4. To simmering soup in the pan add flour mixture bit by bit, stir well after each addition and simmer 2 minutes more after all flour mixture has been added.
5. Serve the creamy vegetable soup with homemade fresh bread.