Coconut and Cilantro Soup
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken/Turkey||1 1⁄4 Pound, ground|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Ginger||1⁄4 , sliced, minced|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chicken broth/Vegetable broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Vermicelli noodles/Capellini /very fine egg noodles||1⁄4 Pound, broken into 2-inch lengths|
|Limes||2 , freshly squeezed|
|Scallions||2 , sliced|
|Packed cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped (Fresh Ones)|
|Unsweetened coconut milk||8 Ounce|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon, dried|
1) In a medium-size saucepan, saute the chicken over a medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, until the chicken is crumbled and partially cooked.
2) Stir in the garlic and ginger, cook for about 1 minute, until the chicken is almost dry.
3) Stir in the water and broth and bring to a boil.
4) Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and vermicelli, cook covered over a medium-low heat for about 5 minutes until the noodles are tender.
5) Turn off the heat, stir in the lime juice and coconut milk, and season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste .
6) Ladle the soup into deep soup bowls, sprinkle with the scallions and cilantro and serve immediately.
Calories 591 Calories from Fat 328
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.6%
Saturated Fat 17.5 g87.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95 mg31.7%
Sodium 806.3 mg33.6%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.8%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 35 g70.4%
Vitamin A 7.8% Vitamin C 15%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet