Lentil and Ham Soup
|Red lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Stock/Water||6 1⁄4 Cup (100 tbs)|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Carrots||2 Large, chopped|
|Lean ham knuckle/6 ounce lean bacon||1 , chopped|
|Tomatoes||4 Large, peeled and chopped|
|Bay leaves||2 (Fresh / Dried)|
|Chopped potatoes||9 Ounce (250 Grams)|
|White wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped scallions/Parsley||1 Tablespoon (To Garnish)|
1) In a large pan, place the lentils and stock.
2) Let the lentils soak for 1-2 hours.
3) When lentils are soaked, add garlic, onions, ham, tomatoes and bay leaves to the stock and boil the mixture.
4) Cover the pan and let the stock simmer for 1 hours or until lentils are tender.
5) Keep stirring the soup to avoid lentils sticking at the bottom of the pan.
6) Add potatos to the soup and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes until ham and potatoes are tender.
7) Discard bay leaves from the soup, remove the ham and chop 125 g/4 1/2 oz of meat and keep aside.
8) if prefer, process half of soup in blender until amooth and mix with the remaining soup.
9) Adjust the seasoning with salt- pepper, allspice and vinegar.
10) Add reserved chopped ham in the soup and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
11) Ladle the soup in soup bowls and garnish with scallions or parsley.