Celery Soup with Cheese
|Potatoes||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Pint (Scant 1 Liter)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Single cream||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Grated cheese||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
1. Peel potato and slice roughly.
2. Peel onion and chop finely.
3. Cut and remove head of celery.
4. Scrub the stalks well and wash.
5. Shred both the stalks and leaves finely.
6. In a large saucepan, melt butter and stir in the potatoes, onion and celery.
7. Cover the pan with a lid and sautÃ© gently for about 10 minutes without allowing the vegetables to take color.
8. Stir in the stock and season with salt and pepper.
9. Bring the stock to boil and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are quite tender.
10. Remove the pan from heat.
11. In an electric blender, puree the vegetables or press the vegetables and liquid through a sieve.
12. Return the pureed soup back to the saucepan and reheat.
13. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning.
14. Stir in the cream just before serving.
15. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
16. Serve piping hot.
Select celery head with some leafy parts.
Chopped celery gives the soup an excellent flavor, so ensure celery is chopped.
Calories 260 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.3%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 45.4 mg15.1%
Sodium 400.6 mg16.7%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.8%
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 9 g18.2%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 28.7%
Calcium 14.8% Iron 5.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet