Chestnut Soup With Chicken Stock
|Chestnuts||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Chicken stock||2 Pint (Generous 1 Liter)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Single cream||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped (Or As Required)|
1. Make a slit on the flat side of each chestnut.
2. Peel onion and chop finely.
3. Wash celery and chop them.
4. In a saucepan, place the prepared chestnut and add boiling water to cover them; boil gain and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Drain and peel both the outer and inner skins of the chestnut.
6. In a large saucepan, melt butter and stir in the sliced onion; cover and fry gently for about 5 minutes until tender but not brown.
7. Add the peeled chestnuts and chopped celery.
8. Stir in the stock and bring it to a boil.
9. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer gently for 45- 60 minutes until the vegetables are quite tender.
10. Remove the pan from heat and press the chestnuts, celery and stock through a sieve or in an electric blender puree the ingredients half at a time.
11. Return the soup back into the pan and season with salt and plenty of freshly milled pepper.
12. Add cream and stir to mix.
13. Reheat the soup until hot; do not boil.
14. Sprinkle chopped parsley.
15. Serve piping hot.
Prepare the chestnuts in two lots because once cooled they become difficult to peel.
Calories 329 Calories from Fat 100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.4%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.2 mg9.4%
Sodium 316.8 mg13.2%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.6%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 7 g15%
Vitamin A 10.5% Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 3.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet