Country Style Cream Of Cauliflower Soup
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juice extracted|
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Pint (Scant 1 Liter)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Milk cream||1⁄4 Pint|
|Milk/Cream||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Parsley/Chervil||2 Ounce, chopped|
1. Cut and discard stem the cauliflower, remove all outer leaves and soak the head in cold, salted water for a few minutes.
2. Slash deep cuts into the cauliflower stalk.
3. Peel onion and chop finely.
4. Trim the top and bottom end of the celery and chop.
5. In a saucepan, pour salted water until half filled and bring it to a boil.
6. Place the cauliflower in the saucepan with the head downward.
7. Add lemon juice to keep the cauliflower white and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Drain and reserve the water.
9. Cut the cooked cauliflower in half and keep aside one half for garnishing.
10. Pass the remaining cauliflower half through a sieve to puree.
11. In a saucepan, melt butter.
12. Add the onion and celery to the pan and fry gently for about 10 minutes until onion is tender but not brown.
13. Add flour; stir and cook gently for a few minutes.
14. Pour the reserved cooking liquid or add chicken stock; stir constantly.
15. Bring the soup to a boil and then strain.
16. Stir the cauliflower puree, check seasoning and adjust according to taste and reheat.
17. Add reserved cauliflower broken into small florets, stir in cream and a pinch of nutmeg.
18. Sprinkle parsley.
19. Serve hot.
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 94
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g16%
Saturated Fat 6 g29.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25.8 mg8.6%
Sodium 483.6 mg20.1%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.4%
Sugars 21.1 g
Protein 11 g22%
Vitamin A 30.6% Vitamin C 162.2%
Calcium 17.7% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet