Autumn Lentil Soup
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and diced|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Carrots||2 , scrubbed and diced|
|Celery||2 , diced|
|Celery rib||2 , diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cored|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cored, seeded, and diced|
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), picked over and rinsed|
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Plum tomatoes||5 , diced|
|Scallions||3 , trimmed and thinly sliced|
|Corn ears/1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels||3 , kernels removed|
|Corn/1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels||3 , kernels removed|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Flat leaf italian parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (Of 1 Lemon)|
1. In a Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat, saute the onion, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and sautÃ© the garlic until it is fragrant.
2. Add the carrots, celery, red bell pepper, a pinch of salt, cover the pot and steam-saute the vegetables, stirring them often, for 6 minutes.
3. Stir in the lentils to combine them well and saute for 1 minute.
4. Add the water, bring the ingredients to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the lentils are tender, approximately 40 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, scallions, corn, cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice and simmer the soup 2 minutes longer.
6. Season the soup with the salt and pepper and serve.
Calories 1013 Calories from Fat 103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.5%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 199.3 mg8.3%
Total Carbohydrates 199 g66.5%
Dietary Fiber 39.2 g156.8%
Sugars 14.3 g
Protein 38 g75.3%
Vitamin A 199% Vitamin C 157.7%
Calcium 13% Iron 63.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet