Black Bean Soup
|Black turtle beans||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), rinsed (Dry)|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , cut into 8 wedges|
|Vegetable bouillon cubes||2|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable soup seasoning/1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon (Vegex)|
|Allspice||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground|
|Pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground|
|Molasses||4 Teaspoon (1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Additional Required)|
|Japanese rice vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As Required)|
|Lemon slices||4 (As Required)|
1) Add the black turtle beans in 8 cups water and allow to soak overnight at room temperature.
2) In a food processor bowl with a metal blade, process the onions until finely chopped.
3) In a large pot or pressure cooker, saute the onions in the oil over medium-high heat, until soft and transparent.
4) Stir in the beans, soaking water, lemon wedges, bouillon cubes, cloves, Vegex, nutmeg, allspice, pepper, salt, molasses and 2 cups additional water and simmer in the pot on range for about 2 hours.
5) Alternately pressure cook soaked beans at 15 pounds pressure for 10-15 minutes or pressure cook unsoaked beans at 15 pounds pressure for 45 minutes.
6) When the beans are cooked, remove the lemon wedges then drain and reserve liquid.
7) In a food processor bowl with a metal blade, process the parsley sprigs until minced. Remove from the bowl and keep aside.
8) Process the beans until pureed and return to the pot with liquid.
9) Stir in the vinegar and sherry, mix thoroughly.
10) Ladle soup into soup bowls, top each with a dollop of yogurt.
Calories 216 Calories from Fat 74
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.5%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.2 mg0.4%
Sodium 1231.2 mg51.3%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.8%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 6 g12.9%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 32.3%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet