White Bean, Escarole, And Tomato Soup
|Dried white beans/2 cups canned white beans, drained and rinsed||1 Cup (16 tbs), picked over, rinsed, and soaked overnight|
|Water||9 Cup (144 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled and chopped fine|
|Carrots||2 Medium, scrubbed and diced|
|Celery ribs||2 , diced|
|Fennel seed||1 Teaspoon, lightly crushed|
|Fennel bulb||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (Include Some Of The Leaves)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Bean cooking water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Escarole||3 Cup (48 tbs), roughly chopped, washed, and drained (Fresh)|
|Fresh herbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Of Your Choice)|
1) In a Dutch oven, place the dried beans.
2) Cover the oven with 4 cups of water, and bring to a boil.
3) Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until the beans are tender.
4) Drain the beans and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water. Keep the beans aside.
5) In the Dutch oven, add olive oil and heat over low heat.
6) To the hot oil, add the onion, and saute it until it is tender.
7) Add the garlic, and saute for a while.
8) Gradually add the carrots, celery, fennel seed, diced fennel, and a pinch of salt.
9) Cover the oven. Over medium heat, steam-saute the ingredients for 6 minutes, stirring often.
10) To this, add the tomatoes, reserved bean water, reserved beans, and the remaining water.
11) Bring the soup to a boil.
12) Reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
13) Now, add the escarole, and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
14) Before serving, add the fresh herbs, if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot..