Creamy Garlic Spinach Soup with Garlic Croutons
|Spinach||1 1⁄4 Bunch (125 gm), stalks removed (Or 1 Large)|
|Chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Preferably Homemade)|
|Carrots||2 Large, grated|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), finely chopped|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Light Variety)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic croutons||5 (As Required)|
1. Cut spinach coarsely.
2. Take a 2- to 3-quart pot and add chicken broth, chopped spinach, and carrots in it.
3. Cook for 5-10 minutes until carrots get tender and spinach leaves get completely wilted.
4. Remove the mix from the flame and set aside.
5. In between, sautÃ© onion and garlic against low-medium heat in butter; it will take nearly 20-30 minutes to get the desired cooking effect. Ideally, sauting should be continued until onions turn tender and translucent. Take care of garlic, it should never turn brownish due to overcooking.
6. Now add flour in it and continue cooking for another 5-10 minute phase while stirring constantly.
7. In a blender or in a food processor combine spinach, broth and onion, garlic mixtures and blend the mix until it forms a smooth puree.
8. For convenience it is better to process the mix into small batches in blender.
9. Clean the pot and take back the soup into the pot.
10. Add cream, whipping cream, fresh ground pepper, and salt in the soup for enhancing taste.
11. Put the soup-pot back on flame to reheat.
12. Serve the soup hot/immediately.
13. Garnish the soup with a dollop of sour cream and garlic croutons.
Calories 358 Calories from Fat 206
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.5%
Saturated Fat 14.8 g74%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 69.3 mg23.1%
Sodium 571.2 mg23.8%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.4%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 4 g8.2%
Vitamin A 129.3% Vitamin C 22.1%
Calcium 11.1% Iron 6.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet