Bean And Potato Soup
|Red beans||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Red Preferred)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Potatoes||3 , peeled, diced|
|Onions||2 , peeled, sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, minced|
|Canned tomato paste||8 Ounce|
|Beef bouillon cubes||3|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound, sliced|
1. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Let them soak overnight.
2. Tip the soaked beans along with water into a slow cooker or crock pot.
3. Close pot tightly with its lid.
4. Allow the beans to cook and soften on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours, or on LOW for 4 to 6 hours if you are preparing the soup for supper.
5. Once beans are tender, add the vegetables, garlic, tomato paste, bouillon cubes, pork and seasonings to the pot. Give a good stir.
6. Cover again and let cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours or on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
7. Ladle the beans and vegetables soup into warmed soup bowls or soup plates.
8. Serve the soup hot with crusty bread, or rice if you like.
Calories 380 Calories from Fat 149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.3%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.4 mg5.8%
Sodium 1083.5 mg45.1%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g37%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 12 g24.9%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 55.1%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 23.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet