Wende's Avgolemono Soup
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Escarole heads||2 , rinsed well, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Chicken||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Chicken soup||8 Cup (128 tbs), defatted (Homemade)|
|Eggs||2 Large, lightly beaten|
|Lemon||2 , juice extracted|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Dill||2 Tablespoon, chopped (Plus Small Dill Sprigs For Garnish)|
1. In a large heavy pot, heat oil over low heat.
2. Add the onions.
3. Stir occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes until the onion softens.
4. Add the escarole.
5. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute; stir continuously.
6. Pour in the chicken broth.
7. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the escarole is tender.
8. Turn off the heat and let the soup cool down slightly.
9. In a small bowl, beat egg and lemon juice together.
10. Gradually pour 1 cup of warm soup into the egg mixture to temper it.
11. Gradually whisk in the mixture back into the soup.
12. Season soup with salt and pepper.
13. Stir in the chopped dill.
14. Gently heat over low heat; do not boil.
15. Ladle soup into bowl.
16. Garnish with dill sprig.