Montego Red Pea Soup
|Red kidney beans||8 Ounce, dried|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||2 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), minced|
|Carrots||4 , halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces|
|Light brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned plum tomatoes||56 Ounce, crushed, with their juices (2 Cans, 28 Ounces Each)|
|Homemade chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs), defatted|
|Ham hock||12 Ounce, smoked|
|Dry red wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Allspice||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Fresh lime juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Ripe avocado||1⁄2 , preferably hass, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch dice (For Garnish)|
1. Rinse beans with water and soak them overnight in a large bowl.
2. Drain, rinse and keep aside.
3. In a medium-size soup pot, heat butter and olive oil over low heat.
4. Stir in the onions, garlic, and carrots.
5. Cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are wilted.
6. Add brown sugar and cook for another 15 minutes until the vegetables caramelize.
7. Add beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, and ham hock.
8. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
9. Simmer uncovered for about 1 hour until the beans are just tender; stir occasionally.
10. Stir in wine, allspice, and pepper.
11. Simmer over low heat for another 25 minutes.
12. Season with salt and add 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
13. Remove the ham hock and keep aside for cooling.
14. Separate meat from the bone.
15. Add the meat back into the soup.
16. Add diced avocado and the remaining tablespoon of lime juice.
17. Reheat the soup just before serving.
18. In 6 soup bowls, pour soup equally.
19. Garnish with diced avocado.
20. Serve immediately.