Carlos' Black Bean Soup
|Black beans||2 Pound|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onions||3 Cup (48 tbs), diced|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), lightly bruised and peeled|
|Meaty ham bone/Ham hock||1 , smoked|
|Cumin||7 Teaspoon, ground|
|Dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Flat leaf parsley||6 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh cilantro leaves||6 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Red bell peppers||1 Medium, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice; reserve 1/4 cup for garnish|
|Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon (Packed)|
|Fresh lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Creme fraiche/Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Rinse beans in water and in a large bowl soak beans in cold water.
2. Drain, rinse, and keep aside.
3. In a large soup pot, heat oil over low heat.
4. Add onions and garlic.
5. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes until onions wilt.
6. Add ham bone, beans and water to the pot.
7. Add 2 tablespoons of the cumin, oregano, bay leaves, black pepper, cayenne, and 2 tablespoons each parsley and cilantro.
8. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat.
9. Simmer uncovered for about 1 ½ to 2 hours until the beans are very tender and the liquid is reduced to one quarter.
10. Spoon ham bone to a plate and keep aside for cooling slightly.
11. Remove meat from on the bone, shred finely and return it to the pot.
12. Add the remaining parsley, cilantro, salt, bell pepper cumin, sherry, brown sugar, and lime juice.
13. Simmer with frequent stirring for another 30 minutes.
14. Adjust seasonings to taste.
15. Serve piping hot in serving bowl.
16. Garnish each bowl with a dollop of creme fraiche.
17. Sprinkle remaining diced red pepper and chopped cilantro.
Calories 600 Calories from Fat 137
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.6 mg2.2%
Sodium 403.9 mg16.8%
Total Carbohydrates 89 g29.6%
Dietary Fiber 21.1 g84.4%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 31 g61.2%
Vitamin A 49.1% Vitamin C 78%
Calcium 26.6% Iron 62.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet