|Beef bouillon||1 Quart|
|Onions||3 Cup (48 tbs), sliced thin|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry vermouth/Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
1. In a skillet, melt the butter over a medium flame.
2. Add onion, cover skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned.
3. Stir the salt, sugar, flour and Vermouth into the onions until well blended.
4. Tip the onion mixture into a slow-cooking pot or crock pot.
5. Gradually add the bouillon to the pot, stirring until well blended.
6. Cover the pot with its lid.
7. Slowly simmer the soup on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
8. Ladle the hot soup into soup bowls or dishes.
9. Place a toast slice each, on the soup.