Roasted Beet and Mixed Vegetable Soup
|Beets||2 , washed, trimed|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Leek||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Red onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Chicken stock/Water/ vegetable stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whipped cream||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Rub the beets with olive oil(1 teaspoon) and wrap in foil. Bake at 350F for 60 minutes.
3. In a sauce pan, heat olive oil (1 1/2 Tablespoon), add vegetable and the red onion, cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables turn soft, stir occasionally.
4. Using a paper towel, rub out the skin of the beet, trim the root part and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
5. To the saucepan, add beet and the herbs. Pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes.
6. Discard the herbs. In a blender, pour in the mixture, blend until smooth and silky. While blending, slowly add in the cream. Transfer to a pan, season with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish with some whipped cream mixed with sour cream, serve.
Calories 292 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.3%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.9 mg2.3%
Sodium 552.2 mg23%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.3%
Sugars 22.5 g
Protein 6 g12.7%
Vitamin A 62% Vitamin C 19.5%
Calcium 11.3% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet