Elise's Broccoli Soup
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped to make about 2 cup|
|Celery stalks||3 , chopped to make about 1 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced to make about 1 teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned low sodium chicken broth/Chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs), heated|
|Chicken broth/Canned low-sodium chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs), heated|
|1 % milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Tomato||1 Medium, seeded and chopped (For Garnish)|
1) Peel stalks of broccoli. Cut them into Ms-inch lengths.
2) Break tops into small florets.
3) In a pan boil water and steam broccoli for 5 minutes till crisp tender.
4) Put them in cold water and drain it.
5) In a large saucepan, heat butter cook onion, celery, and garlic over low heat for 5 minutes till softened.
6) Stir in flour and herbs and cook the mixture, stirring, for 5 minutes.
7) Whisk broth in a stream.
8) Boil the mixture, whisking.
9) Simmer for 5 minutes and add milk.
10) Heat soup till hot but do not let it boil.
11) Add broccoli, salt and pepper.
12) Cook the mixture till hot.
13) Serve with a spoonful of chopped tomato.