Golden Squash Soup
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped tomato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fat free chicken broth||26 Tablespoon (1 1/2 Cups Plus 2 Tablespoons, Health Valley)|
|Fat-free chicken broth||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs) (1 1/2 Cups + 2 Tablespoons, Health Valley Brand)|
|Sliced crookneck squash||3⁄4 Pound (Use Yellow Variety)|
|Yellow crookneck squash||3⁄4 Pound, thinly sliced to make 2 cups|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use Low Fat, If Available)|
|Low fat buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Crushed dried basil||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crushed dried oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1 Pinch|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh basil leaves||4 (For Garnish)|
|Thin tomato slices||4 (For Garnish)|
|Plain non fat yogurt||4 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a soup pot, cook a mixture of onion, tomato and 2 tablespoons of chicken broth for 5 minutes until the vegetables become soft.
2) Bring the mixture to a boil after adding in remaining chicken broth and squash.
3) Simmer, covered for 15 minutes until squash is soft and then take off the mixture from heat.
4) In a blender, puree soup with buttermilk.
5) Pour the soup back to pot and then mix in basil, oregano, pepper, honey and lemon juice.
6) Reduce heat to low and cook, covered to just warm the mixture.
7) Serve hot, garnished with a basil leaf, a thin slice of tomato and a spoon of nonfat yogurt.
Calories 106 Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g2.2%
Saturated Fat 0.11 g0.57%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.33 mg0.11%
Sodium 677.3 mg28.2%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.4%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 6 g11.8%
Vitamin A 14.7% Vitamin C 38%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 11.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet