|Dry navy beans||1 Pound, soaked overnight in water to cover, drained|
|Meaty ham bone/Ham pieces||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Celery leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1. In a large slow-cooking pot or a crock pot, combine all the ingredients.
2. Give a good stir to mix well then cover pot with its lid.
3. Allow the ingredients to cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours or if you are in now hurry, cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours.
4. Carefully lift out the ham bone and place on a platter and allow it to cool slightly until easy to handle.
5. Shred the meat off bone.
6. Add shredded chunks of meat into the soup.
7. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bay leaf, peppercorns and celery sprigs before serving soup.
8. Ladle the hot soup with beans and meat into 8 warmed soup plates or bowls.
9. Serve with crusty bread if you like.