Escarole And Rice Soup
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Finely chopped garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Defatted chicken broth/Homemade or canned||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Arborio rice/Non instant rice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1. Separate the leaves of escarole, discarding wilted or bruised ones
2. In a large basin of water, soak the escarole to wash off dirt.
4. Shred the leaves into 1-inch wide strips by stacking a few leaves at a time. Set aside.
5. In a large heavy skillet or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
6. Add and sauté the garlic and onion for about 3 to 5 minutes until soft and golden.
7. Add escarole and salt sautéing another 3 minutes longer until wilted.
8. Stir in 1 cup of the broth, cover, and steam the escarole for 10 to 15 minutes until it is tender.
9. Add the remaining broth and bring to a boil.
10. Stir in the rice, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until rice is tender-crisp.
11. Adjust the seasoning.
12. Ladle the soup into warm bowls.
13. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste.
14. Pass additional cheese at the table if desired
Calories 178 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.5%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.6 mg2.2%
Sodium 726.3 mg30.3%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.8%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 11 g22.5%
Vitamin A 50% Vitamin C 18.8%
Calcium 28.1% Iron 13.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet