Spicy Lentil Soup With Spinach
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery stalks||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Curry powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Brown lentils||2 Cup (32 tbs), washed and picked over|
|Vegetable stock||2 Quart|
|Packed fresh spinach leaves/5 ounces, 1/2 package frozen, thawed||2 Cup (32 tbs), washed and stems removed|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the celery, garlic, onion, and spices.
3. Saute the mixture, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until softened.
4. Add the lentils and the stock.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 50 to 60 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
7. Stir in the spinach leaves and salt.
8. Simmer the soup for about 5 minutes longer.
9. Serve each portion of soup topped with a spoonful of yogurt.