Chunky Vegetable Soup With Pasta
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Leeks/Onions||2 , trimmed and thinly sliced|
|Carrots||2 Large, cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|Rutabaga||8 Ounce, cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|Fennel/Celery||8 Ounce, cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|Vegetable stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orzo pasta/Other small pasta||4 Ounce|
|Shredded fresh basil/2 teaspoons dried basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the leeks.
3. Saute the leeks until softened but not browned.
4. Now add the remaining vegetables.
5. Saute until all the vegetables are softened.
6. Stir in the stock.
7. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are almost soft.
8. Stir in the tomatoes.
9. Increase to moderate heat and return the soup to a boil.
10. Add the orzo or any small pasta, and simmer for about 8 minutes more.
11. Finally, add salt, pepper, and basil.
12. Serve with a little cheese sprinkled on each portion.
Calories 545 Calories from Fat 168
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.9%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.6 mg2.2%
Sodium 1125.6 mg46.9%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g27.9%
Dietary Fiber 32.2 g128.7%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 20 g39.7%
Vitamin A 171.8% Vitamin C 84.9%
Calcium 89.9% Iron 84%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet