Split Pea Soup With Smoked Ham
|Green peas||1 Pound, dried|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Carrot||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), sliced|
|Ground thyme||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Chicken broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ham hock||1 Medium, smoked|
|Croutons||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Take a large bowl and add split peas into it along with water, cover it tightly and leave it to soak overnight. Next day drain the peas before using it.
2. Take a 3-quart glass casserole and add the drained peas over it along with 1 quart water. Microwave it for about 40 minutes at high and uncover the pitcher during the cooking time.
3. Add the remaining ingredients such as sliced carrot, parsley, chopped onions, salt, pepper, ground thyme, chicken broth, water and smoked ham hock into it. Microwave it for about 20 minutes at medium and take out the ham hock and chop it and reserve the meat. Force the soup through food processor or blender.
4. Add the soup back to casserole along with the reserved meat. Microwave it to serving temperature for about 10 minutes at high or set the temperature to 160°F and at High.
5. Serve the soup after garnishing with croutons.