Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
|Red bell peppers||2 Large|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Celery sticks||2 , trimmed and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Vegetable stock||1 Pint (600 Milliliter / 2 1/2 Cups)|
|Canned plum tomatoes||28 Ounce (2 Cans, 14 Ounce / 400 Gram Each)|
|Spring onions||2 , finely shredded (Scallions, For Garnish)|
|Crusty bread||1 (For Serving)|
1. Preheat the grill (broiler) to hot. Halve and deseed the (bell) peppers, arrange them on the grill (broiler) rack and cook, turning occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until softened and charred.
2. Leave to cool slightly, then carefully peel off the charred skin. Reserving a small piece for garnish, chop the (bell) pepper flesh and place in a large saucepan.
3. Mix in the onion, celery and garlic. Add the stock and the bay leaves. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and transfer to a blender. Process for a few seconds until smooth. Return to the saucepan.
5. Season to taste and heat for 3-4 minutes until piping hot. Ladle into warm bowls and garnish with the reserved (bell) pepper cut into strips and the spring onion (scallion). Serve with crusty bread.