|Dried lentils||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Quart|
|Diced salt pork||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped carrots||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped onions||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a large kettle, combine lentil and water.
2) Saute pork and then stir in vegetables and garlic and let it cook for 10 minutes.
3) Add the pork mixture to the lentils.
4) Add ham bones.
5) In a cheesecloth tie bay leaf and cloves and add in the mixture.
6) Add cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, and bring the lentil soup to boil.
7) Discard the cheesecloth and then sieve the mixture through a foodmill.
8) Add the lean meat from the ham bone.
9) Reheat soup, check seasoning, andserve garnished with parsley.